“If the positive absolute zero is the point at which all motion stops, then the negative absolute zero is the point where all motion is as fast as it possibly can be.”
Hey. I am distracted. I wish to respond to your post about dark, but somehow I’m stuck on absolute zero. Zero and absolute. -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yesterday, I left my desk, walked half a mile to get to my car, parked in the dirt lot, took a tram a little way…and by the time I got from my desk to the car twenty minutes was gone. I then drove forty-five minutes to be fourteen minutes late for the dentist. He rescheduled me. I am still trying to find someone to get rid of the 200 yellow jackets in the siding by the garden hose. The carpet needs cleaning. Dinner needs to be made nightly- somehow. The dogs need baths. I need to call the school counselor, who left a message that there are no more drop/adds. We need a drop/add. That ended on Friday. No one should cry about homework, not nightly. Especially not my beautiful kid. That is not as school is intended to be. She needs more math before Physics. It’s too much.
I can’t abide the rules anymore. I’m beginning to feel I’m hardly fit for this society.
“I’m tense and nervous and I can’t relax/I can’t sleep ’cause my bed’s on fire/Don’t touch me I’m a real live wire” Talking Heads
“Tycho Brahe, Qu’est-ce que c’est /Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa?” – The Klaxon Kluge
So let’s go back to dark. Women were the shaman, or as men like to say, the witches, the keeper of the potions, the gatherers in the hunter gatherer equation. Close to the herbs, gathering the food. Somehow all that has changed. Darkness…the absence of light….heart of darkness…dark emotional states… burning at the stake in the night.
Let’s get dark and make it better. Dark like dance around the bonfire darkly. Gypsy music dark. Dark like we know the secrets of the stars better than anyone. After all, we have things like “women’s intuition.” I’m a firm believer. I know the names of wildflowers. Dark is like the darkest poetry. Colombian Coffee. Dark as if Plath came out from all of it alive and smiled at the wind in the leaves.
Our children, my son, our daughters- they are good people. So where do these others come from? The ones with all the untenable rules? The ones that see women as less? The ones who are ok with viewing polite as subservient? The men who use “locker room talk?” I’m afraid I’ll be unemployable soon…I speak my mind too much to work for someone who has a boss. I need to be my own boss. Or work from home. Plus the drive is clearly really inconvenient.
I forget why we studied Absolute Zero. It reminds me of 2001 A Space Odyssey – the absoluteness. The weird music. Something to do with laws of motion, liquid dynamics. Maybe the possibility of superfluid crystals. Something happens, something about molecules slowing, lining up? Is time travel possible at absolute zero? Or maybe transporters? Teleportation. Maybe, being from Phoenix, I liked the idea of ice so cold it stops everything…and an orderly arrangement of molecules. Order vs. chaos. Scientific god.
I bought a tote that changes colors when it hits daylight. My nails are tiger eyes. The nail technician uses a little magnet to pull all the glitter in the polish in one direction. They sparkle. Magnetism. Thanks Carl Sagan.
Absolute zero is like little Madelines, -in an old house in Paris covered with vines, lived twelve little molecules in two straight lines.
Things to think about more deeply for me, for future posts:
1) There are those that live in the castles, and those that build them.
2) There are people who can kill their own yellow jackets, and there are people who pay for that.
3) There are those that can afford healthcare, and those who do not have healthcare or vacations.
4) Women are lugging around a huge historical burden….from Joan of Arc to Amelia Earhart. From Auntie Em to Auntie Mame. From Marilyn Monroe to Mother Jones to Mother Teresa. And all the women with one name. Cher, Madonna, Oprah, Eleanor,
5) Many women change their surnames. It’s rare for men. John Lennon became John Ono Lennon. There are also men with one name. Bono. Cash. Rockefeller. Hemingway.
6) Things are very different for men and women at adolescence.
7) Things are also different at menopause.
8) Ms. Miss, Mrs. — men don’t deal with this.
9) Both men and women WITH children live different lives than men or women WITHOUT children. (And no everyone shouldn’t have children. )
10) It physically hurts for a woman to experience childbirth. Also the most natural thing: breastfeeding. Men have no equivalent. (and no, not everyone should give birth or even breastfeed.)
I just want to say….there are some pretty big differences happening here. My experiences, major things in my life are very different from every one I meet.
I am not cooking any eggs. Can you see her: Sylvia? She walks calmly down the sidewalk. She doesn’t care about anything but the words in her head…the Van Gogh of colors on the distant hills, and the grey of the sidewalk at her feet. She wakes up alive. She writes. But tell me, does she have to be tormented to be Sylvia Plath? God I hope not.
I wish I could stave off both outer and inner darkness, especially with winter coming. Nothing is absolute. And zero, forget about it. I see things changing. I see some brightness ahead for women. It’s just taking a lot of time. In the meantime, there are all these stupid appointments.